The first lesson is that more Americans support protecting the rights of Americans to own guns than they did in the early 1990s.
- Men are more likely than women to support gun rights (57%-37%).
- Republicans are more supportive of gun rights than Democrats (70%-30%)
- Folks residing in rural areas support gun rights more than those living in urban areas (63%-38%)
- Tea Party supporters are gun rights supporters (78% support).
- The South is NOT the region of the country that is most supportive of gun rights. That honor goes to the Midwest (52% support in the Midwest vs. 49% in the South, 44% in the West and 36% in the East).
- People who make more than $75K are more supportive of gun rights than those who make less than $30K (49%-40%).
- Registered voters are more supportive of gun rights than those who are not registered (51%-35%).