Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quick Links

  • Larry Sabato has been called "the most quoted college professor in the country" and with good reason.  He's a good writer, has a sense of what is newsworthy and refuses to speak in Academic-speak.  I don't always agree with what Sabato has to say, but I really like this quick analysis of the 2012 election--particularly the section at the beginning when he talks about why presidential elections are predictable and why primaries aren't.  
  • Giles Morris has a terrific piece in the TuckReader about why academics should communicate with the public.  I could not agree more (hence, this blog).  This is one of the things that worries me about these looming budget cuts.  If we cut faculty and we all teach more students and more classes (all possibilities that are on the table), then the time for this kind of dialogue will be gone.  I think it's a real missed opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment